Thursday, November 15, 2012

Genesis and Daodejing

I have not previously read The Bible or the Daodejing. I have been taught Hindu values when I was younger. Henceforth I did my best to read these texts with an open mind. I found that although different from my previous religious teachings they shared many similarites.

The Daodejing of Laozi is divided into two sections, dao and de. These refer to way and virtue respectively, the two major ideas discussed. The text is a series of verses that are quite straightforward. Dao, the Way, describes the virtually unnamable way of the universe. It is what makes life significant. It advocates that things happen when they're are meant to rather then when one wishes them to. De, virtue, highlights internal integrity. It underlines the way one should carry himself.  Because the text was believed to be written during the Warring States Period, its content are partially influenced from war and conflict. It cautions the reader against excessive desires as they are not indicative of happiness. Instead it highlights the neccesity of of simplicity and altruism as those values are ideal to substantiate the Way.

Genesis is the first book of the Hebrew Bible. It follows a story format. It begins by describing how God created the world in six days. On the seventh he created man (his intended missionary into the world) in the form of Adam and Eve. He encouraged them to reproduce and be obdedient, warning them not to indulge in eating from the Tree of Knowledge. God realized that man was corrupt. Upon this epiphany, he proceeded to wipe out man in the form of a flood. Before this he urged Noah, one of the few pure humans, to construct a boat of some sort to shield those that were free from corruption. Despite his efforts, man still possesed the same shortcoming. In another attempt to remedy this, God asked Abraham to move to Canaan. He promised him a place in the heavens for Abraham and his descendents. Subsequently, Abraham continued his lineage through is son Isaac and his grandson Jacob.

Because the Daodejing and Genesis are religous texts stemming from inherently different origins, they are ideal to compare and contrast. Both urge the reader to live a simple, peaceful life devoid of greed and corruption. However, while the Daodejing conveys these messages in straightforward verses, Genesis does so in a story like text. This causes the reader to have to carefully analyze the book in order to derive its intended message. As I mentioned, I have never read either of these texts. I learned of Hinduism mainly from the Bhagavad Gita. I was able to relate several themes I read to my previous experiences. I found a connection between the way (the concept of the occurences of the universe happening for a reason) to Karma (the idea that the fortunes/misfortunes and individual experiences are influenced by his/her previous actions).  Although I consider myself agnostic and do not neccesarily recognize with a specific higher power or deity I value the main ideas of these sacred texts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment